4.7.11

The Tree of Life

"There are two ways through life. The way of nature and the way of grace."

After a year of suspense, we all raced to see Malick's polarising new film on the day of its release. Within fifteen minutes, ten people had left the cinema. Two hours later, we sat speechless, winded by a film that I feel unable to review. I feel it is almost artless. It is the closest any film I've seen has come to revealing the minute, the cosmic, the meaning of natural order and chaos.

There is a particular moment amidst the infamous 16 minute birth of the universe sequence where the emptiness and endlessness of the universe seemed exactly as I've imagined it. Watching The Tree of Life, there are many moments like this, where it is as though your memories or imagination are being recreated on the screen. This is cinema at its greatest.

I don't know what else to say.

You must see this film.



No comments:

Post a Comment

contact