16.6.11

The Possibility of Hope




Trawling Youtube for videos of Slavoj Žižek has led me into deep voids this week. It began with Children of Men, Alfonso Cuarón's film about a dystopian world in which no one has had a baby for eighteen years. What affected me most about this film was the resemblance this chaotic and desperate society has to our own world. Institutions, workplaces, cafes and transport, all are amplifications of the ugliest parts of our civilisation.

Following my viewing of Children of Men, I watched Cuarón's accompanying documentary The Possibility of Hope. A kind of Inconvenient Truth without the moralising, the doco is a series of interviews which address the sociological issues which are evident or will emerge from global warming and capitalism. It is a truly interesting half hour piece and you can watch it all on YouTube (I've linked Part 1/3 below).

It also reminded me of another film available to watch for free online called HOME. If you have 93 minutes and high speed internet, you should spend it watching this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

contact