25.1.11

BLACK SWAN

E: In my neck of the woods, everyone is talking about one thing. Black Swan. It has been a very long time since I have seen a film that got inside me and made me feel a little insane. People will say Inception did it but that movie is confusing trite next to Aronofsky’s incredible thriller about a ballerina obsessed with the perfect performance.

A fellow filmmaker likened it to The Shining, and really there’s no better way to compare the way you’re aligned with Natalie Portman as she begins to lose her mind. No character can be trusted and all elements are an achingly beautiful orchestration of master cinema. The heaving breath of the dancers as they painfully twist, the claustrophobic apartments and rehearsal rooms and the best use of special effects I have ever seen. Five stars. Milena?

M: After leaving this film it was all that I could think about, the past 72 hours have been filled with constant discussion about the beauty of this film. It is sexy in the grimmest of ways and disgusting in the most beautiful way. You leave feeling uncomfortably self aware and that is when you know that a film has reached inside you, when it follows you home from the cinema. Every glance in a mirror took me back inside Nina Sayer's head. Five from me.

Beware! This clip's a spoiler

No comments:

Post a Comment

contact